Reddit mentions someone who has gained access to an eleven-year-old old database backup with usernames, salted and hashed passwords, mail addresses and posts and pm’s. In addition, more recent e-mail addresses in combination with usernames have also been leaked.
The announcement is at the time of writing at the top of the front page of the popular online community. Users who appear in the old backup, whose password might still be the same, receive a message and an automatic password reset. How strong the encryption is on those passwords is not reported.
In addition to the older backup, the attacker also had access to logs of e-mail digests dated 3 June to 17 June of this year. These logs contain not only the mailed sfw mailings themselves, but also the mail addresses to which they were sent and the associated username. Users who have not entered an e-mail address in their Reddit profile, or who were not subscribers to the digests from 3 to 17 June, are therefore out of the question.
Reddit emphasizes that users whose digests have been leaked must check whether they have created posts that they would prefer to remain anonymous as an author. The site has a help page with instructions for deleting this public data, if desired.
The attacker obtained the user data when he gained access to the accounts of several Reddit employees at the site’s cloud and source code hosts. They were secured with two-stage authentication, but the attacker presumably intercepted the verification SMS. He or she has only been given read-only access. The hack took place somewhere between 14 and 18 June and came to light internally on 19 June. Reddit says to have reported the attack to the authorities.
What is custom ROM?
ROM is short for Read-Only Memory. It has many versions just like Windows OS does; no matter it is stock ROMs from companies, or custom ROM from third party. This new custom ROM can bring you the latest version of Android before your manufacturer. Anyhow, flashing a new ROM means installing a new operating system to your Android.
The new Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow comes with many new features :
- Mobile payments (Android Pay) feature.
- Better RAM Management.
- Fingerprint support.- A battery saver feature which extends device use by up to 90 mins.
- It has a faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience.
- Support for 64-bit SoCs using ARM, x86, and MIPS-based cores.
- OpenGL ES 3.1 and Android extension pack brings Android to the forefront of mobile graphics putting it on par with desktop and console class performance.
- Responsive, natural motion, realistic lighting and shadows, and familiar visual elements make it easier to navigate your device.
- More intelligent ranking of notifications based on who they’re from and the type of communication.
- See all your notifications in one place by tapping the top of the screen.
- New devices come with encryption automatically turned on to help protect data on lost or stolen devices.
- SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware.
- State of the art video technology with support for HEVC main profile to allow for UHD 4K 10-bit video playback, tunneled hardware video decoding to save power and improved HLS support for streaming.
- and other cool features.
Note: If there is more than one download option, that likely means that you need to download and install the Bug Fix Update for your smartphone or tablet device before you can actually update to 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
Step 1:Before you go trying to update your device, you should check which version of Android you are running. You might already be on the latest version. It's easy to check so follow this guide up to step four. This screen will have a section called 'Android version'. If it doesn't, click 'Software information' to find out.
Step 2:Scroll down the Settings menu and click on 'About Phone' or 'About Tablet'. If you have a tabbed settings menu then this will appear in the 'general' section.
Refer to Android developer page to choose which version of Android your phone or tablet is running. I.e, 4.0.4 corresponds to Ice Cream Sandwich, an old version of Android that was released in 2013.
Step 3:Note: Your phone or tablet may require a Wi-Fi connection to search for an update. We suggest you to download the software Droid Over Wi-Fi because the file size can be large.
Choose and click the "Software Update" option. Next it will search available update for your phone or tablet. If update is available, you will be asked if you want to install it. Select "yes" and it will install the new operating system in your device. If you want to install it later, you can download the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow file first. Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.zip